Bramble Bush

Bramble Bush

Saturday, July 16, 2011

How I got started

So I guess I should explain how I got started with all of the family history and genealogy stuff.

Somewhere around 6th grade (which is '95 or '96 for me), my brother had a biology project dealing with genetic traits. You were to look back in your family tree (or make one up if you didn't know) and map out hair and eye color using the dominant and recessed genes. Well my mother and maternal grandmother both researched family history and kept records, so my brother had an easy time with his project. While he put together the family tree to present his project, I got real nosey (as a little sister does) while my mom helped him.

Three years later it was my turn. My interest in family history renewed and, after that never really went away.

Fast-forward to 2008. I had my first son. I really started getting serious in my search for past relatives. I also had my husband's family to research, now that I had a child who may be interested in where he came from someday.

Now in 2011 I have two sons and am still very into my family history. Not only that, I'm also thinking about becoming a professional genealogist.

Next time I'll write about trying to research while taking care of two kids (under three), a husband, a dog, and a house.

No comments:

Post a Comment